Monday, April 30, 2018

My Mindfulness Practice

I observed a curious thought recently while meditating. What would it look like if I were to explain meditation using my own word?

The following are my insights.

Meditation, in my experience, is simply awareness of thing's as they exist via our 5 senses, whether experienced internally or externally, for five minutes or twenty. It's often suggested as an empty mind or thinking of nothing, but those descriptions miss the mark. It's more like getting out of first person and observing from 3rd person. Anything. Have a thought? Note it's existence. Feel an emotion? Acknowledge it. Hear something? Experience it. This is meditation.

A good way to start is by taking a. Few deep breaths and simply observe and note whats going on around you. In your head say, see, hear or feel.

For example, now I hear a fan clicking. I don't say "fan" I say hear. Currently I can mentally imagine the fan and see myself spin my eyes in the opposite circle. But I don't say blade, fan, or spin. Those are descriptions. I say "see" or "thought". If I feel at peace I don't say calm or peacefully, I say "feel".

In this way you can objectively train your mind to reach delta states while still being fully awake. So what if you find your mind wandering? As soon as you notice... "Thought"

Once practiced with see hear and feel, add thinking, emotion and visualizing/imagining. Give it a go and see what ways it benefits you. I've restored good blood pressure and ability to center myself before conversations. Share in the comments your experiences with meditation, and or your questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment